EPIC-Norfolk participants have attended five different health checks since the study started in 1993. The timeline gives an overview of the study phases.
First Health Check (1HC)
- Aim: To collect general information on health, diet and anthropometry.
- Time period: 1993-1998
- Participants seen: 25,639
- Participant age range: 39-79
- Aim: To enable dietary comparisons between the 10 European countries taking part in EPIC.
- Time period: 1997-1998
- Participants seen: 547
- Participant age range: 40-80
This used a standardised and computerised 24-hour diet recall method (EPICsoft). Weight and height measurements were also taken and 24-hour urine collections made. As this was a Europe-wide study the data was processed and stored at IARC.
Calibration study publications can be found on the nutritional methods publication page.
18 month follow-up
- Aim: To obtain repeat questionnaire data and investigate the effect of seasonality on diet.
- Time period: 1994-1999 (18 months after 1HC)
- Number of participants: 20,514
Second Health Check (2HC)
- Aim: To obtain repeat measurements and to study bone health and body composition.
- Time period: 1998-2000
- Participants seen: 15,786
- Participant age range: 42-82
Third Health Check (3HC)
- Aim: To obtain repeat measurements and to study cognition, physical functioning and eye health.
- Time period: 2004-2011
- Participants seen: 8,623
Participant age range: 48-92
Fourth Health Check (4HC)
- Aim: To investigate the levels and patterns of physical activity and to relate this to body composition.
- Time period: 2012-2016
- Participants seen: 5,696
- Participant age range: 55-95
Fifth Health Check (5HC)
- Aim: To investigate how health changes as individuals age, and further clarify the factors that influence the ageing process and risk of disease.
- Time period: 2016-2018
- Participants seen: 2,577
- Participant age range: 60-96
EPIC-Norfolk participants continue to be followed through health records linkage.